21 March 2012

Beauty Box Review: I Love This Box March 2012

I got to the post office with 5 minutes to spare this afternoon, and happily picked up my 'I Love This Box' beauty box for March. It was packed in lovely lavender tissue paper...



... and it contained:

Essie Nail Polish 'Carry On' Autumn Collection in Lady Like, 5ml sample
I've been wanting to try Essie for a while, and this nude colour is perfect! After getting blacks and bright reds in previous boxes, it's nice to get a colour I can wear to work and on days when I want something more toned-down.
Conscience time: Essie was founded by an individual, but is now part of L'Oreal, which test on animals.

Maybelline New York XXL Pro Curl Mascara, full size.
Maybelline isn't a luxury brand, but they're always coming up with interesting mascara concepts. Supposedly this mascara will curl and lengthen your lashes in a two-step process. Lash-wise, I could use all the help I can get! So I'm interested to see what this stuff does. I already have a few mascaras but, as the card included in the box reminded me, they don't last that long, so perhaps I should chuck one of my old ones.
Conscience time: Maybelline is owned by L'Oreal. Its animal testing status is unknown.

Sunsilk Co-Creations Frizz & Weather Defence, Weather Protection & Shine Serum, 40ml full-size
There was a Sunsilk product in last month's I Love This Box as well, and I noted the possibility that it was tested on animals back then. ILTB have paid attention to my beauty profile and sent me the frizz serum rather than the straight hair mist which is the alternative product on the card, so they get a tick there! The blue goo in a futuristic vial, surrounded by packaging which makes it look twice as large as it really is, strikes me as rather surreal. But hey, if it works, I won't mind!
Conscience time: Sunsilk is owned by Unilever, an Anglo-Dutch company. Some of their products are tested on animals.

Thalgo Soft Hydrating Emulsion, 30ml sample size
Ah, now Thalgo is a brand I couldn't afford to buy normally, a luxury brand. Thalgo uses marine algae and other sea-based substances in their products, and this certainly smells nice and ocean-y. I've already tested it out on the back of my hand and it's not greasy at all. I already have a veritable ocean of body moisturisers, but this one will rise to the top.
Conscience time: Thalgo is a French company. It is not tested on animals.

Glitter Puff Wand
What an odd item to find in my box! The puff is full of glitter; tap it on your skin to make it shimmer. It seems like filler to me but, you know what, I like it! I have a secret unhealthy obsession with Fairy Kei at the moment (probably a rebellion against my corporate work dress code), and this item reflects the aesthetic perfectly.
Conscience time: There is no brand name listed, so I have no idea.

Summary: This month's box had a good mix of skin, hair, nails, makeup and just plain fluff! Two of the products were full-sized (including the glitter puff, that makes 3), which is quite impressive. It didn't quite sweep me away with raptures like the Lust Have It box did, but it came close - the Essie nail polish and Thalgo product were big wins. The box value is middling, but certainly not the worst I've received. Overall, I'm happy.

Total Value: $54.84.* Cost of Box: $14.95. Benefit: $39.89
Rating: 7/10

* There seems to be a typo on the cost of the Glitter Puff, but I'm going to assume it's supposed to be $12.50.