24 March 2012

Review of GlossyBox March Beauty Box

Hot on the heels of the last Beauty Box comes the March Glossy Box. To be honest, I had been disappointed by their last few boxes, so I was coming into it a little biased. Sorry to say, but true to expectations, I was highly disappointed.



Here's why:

First off, I opened up the box and it smelled strongly of perfume. Not a bad smell at all, and I was excited that maybe there was a perfume or nice smelling item in the box. But none of the products smelled like that scent. Obviously GB have sprayed some kind of perfume on the inside of the box, for some unknown reason. It was confusing and disappointing. Next off, I was disappointed when I saw the products themselves, and I'll explain why below.

Proactiv Cleansing Body Bar, 150g bar
I received the Proactive Deep Cleansing (Facial) Wash in last month's GlossyBox and hated it. It irritated my skin and the menthol in it made my eyes water. Judging by the Beautypedia review of this product (see below), this product is no better. There were quite a few complaints about last month's products among beauty reviewers, so why did GlossyBox include another Proactiv product in this month's box? I was really annoyed by this. Not only that, but it says on the packaging itself: "If dryness occurs, reduce application use." If dryness occurs, shouldn't you be stopping it altogether??
I'll give the soap a go, but I'm going to chuck it at the first sign of any problems. So mad.
Beautypedia Rating Summary [see full here]: Frowny face rating: product drying and is highly fragranced, which is irritating to the skin as well.
Conscience time: ProActiv is a U.S. company founded by two dermatologists. It does not test on animals.

Eau Thermale Avene Thermal Spring Water, 50ml can
I have heard of this product before and was pretty unimpressed. It's basically just spring water in a can that you spray on your face. I'm sorry, but is their spring water so much better than any other spring water? I'll give this a go, but I'm highly dubious. I would have much preferred to receive the Avene Cleanser and Toner set that other subscribers received. At least that's actual product, not just water in a can. Next!
Beautypedia Rating Summary [see full here]: Frowny face rating: it's just water, surely something with actual soothing ingredients in it would work better?
Conscience time: Avene is a French company. Its animal testing status is not divulged.

Nougat London Tuberose & Jasmine Nurturing Hand Cream, sample size 10 ml (estimated)
Nougat London is a U.K. fashion brand who seem to have branched out into bath and body products. There's a slight thrill in knowing that they're sold in Harrod's and shops throughout Europe. But are they available in Australia? Who knows? This small hand cream sample smells quite nice, but you know how I feel about tiny samples!
Conscience time: Nougat London is a U.K. company. I couldn't find information about their animal testing status.

KMS California Free Shape Hot Flex Spray, 30ml bottle
This is a heat protectant spray for the hair. I very rarely use heat styling on my hair, so this product isn't much use to me. It smells really good though, like berries, so I may give it a go just for that!
Conscience time: KMS California is a U.S. company. Their website was so annoying I couldn't be bothered trying to find out any further information about them.

Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream, 10ml tube
This is the one product in the box that I was unreservedly happy to receive. I'd been wanting to try Dr. Hauschka for a while, but I can't afford their products. Even though I've already received a few cleansers lately, I'll put this to the front of the queue. Although, the Beautypedia verdict for this product is not so good, so now I'm in two minds about it!
Beautypedia Rating Summary [see full here]: stern face rating: contains nut shells which can be abrasive, and is overpriced.
Conscience time: Dr. Hauschka is a German company, it does not test on animals.

Bonus Product: Power Balance Bracelet
Really?
Don't we all remember about a year back when the Power Balance Bracelet was exposed as a sham? And now here it appears in my GlossyBox? WTF? It's like someone had a warehouse full of these things taking up space and wanted to get rid of them. Unbelievable. I am so mad.


That's it for the products. But wait, I have more to whinge about.
The product card was enormous, about 3 times the normal size. Here's a photo of it:



Then I realised why this was. There are 18 products listed on the card! Ever since GlossyBox started, they've had a reputation for distributing different products to different subscribers, with some inevitably feeling left out. This time they haven't even bothered to try and disguise this, and just published one card with all the products on it. Plus discount cards to purchase the items you didn't get in your box. I'm sorry, but that's an insult. There are certainly some products that I would have much rather received than my selection (the De-Coy Panda Eyes Pen; the Body Shop Chocomania Body Butter; the Thin Lizzy Concealer; the Pome Wonder Serum). Then again, there were some I was glad I didn't receive (the Coconut Water; the Dencorub Heat Gel - yes, Dencorub! It's supposed to be beauty products, for eff's sake! I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd received those.)

Not to mention the added disappointment when you see what amazing luxury products the U.K. subscribers received in their special Harrod's sponsored boxes this month. (Here's one example; subscribers received different products, but all the ones I saw seemed to have several luxury brands in them.)

But the straw that broke the camel's back was this -

no pricing! Normally the full product size and price are listed on the card, so you know how much the box is worth, and how much you'd expect to pay if you wanted to buy the product again. But not here. So I have no idea how much this box was worth. Sure, I could probably google all those details, but I just can't be bothered. I shouldn't have to, anyway.

Summary: I've received 4 Glossy Boxes now, and that's the probation period over.I'll write up an overall evaluation of all the boxes in the next few days, but I'm sure you can already guess what my verdict is.

Total Value: $??.??. Cost of Box: $14.95. Benefit: $??!.??!
Rating: 2/10