21 April 2013

My First Lust Have It ..Eco Box..!

In a fit of excitement, I decided I needed even more beauty sample goodness, so I subscribed to Lust Have It's Eco Box. A separate subscription box to LHI's monthly service, the Eco Box is a little more expensive ($24.95), is released quarterly (with the seasons!), and contains only products that are not tested on animals, and are organic and made locally where possible. Yes, the Eco Box is a little more expensive than the normal monthly box, but it promises a larger selection of products, with more full-sized offerings. The box was larger than the monthly subscription box, and impressively hefty. The products were packed in a hessian bag, which fits with the Eco theme, but I think I'll just throw it away as it's a bit smelly. Nevertheless, I was excited when I pulled my products out!

Let's see what I got!:

❀ Savi Wellbeing Body Cream, sample size 20ml.
This organic body moisturiser smells divine - calming with a slight hint of citrus. The Australian botanicals really come out in the scent. I was instantly transported back to the time I had a holiday in Daylesford and went to a day spa. *sighs* My skin felt really soft afterwards. If only the sample bottle was bigger! I know I'll tear through it in no time! The product is made in Australia.

❀ Pretty Serious Nail Polish in Tux, full size 11ml.
Tux is a black nail polish with green micro-glitter. I don't really like very dark nail polishes, but I thought the glitter would redeem this for me. However, when I tried it out, I could only see the glitter from very close up. Otherwise it just looks plain black. That was a little disappointing. I don't wear black nail polish normally, so I think I'll give this one away. It was pretty long-lasting and I do like the brand's image though, so I might check out their other colours. Pretty Serious is an Australian brand.

❀ e.l.f. Cosmetics Mineral Eyeshadow in Royal, full size.
Mineral makeup products are supposedly easier on the skin than the alternative, though I personally don't see much of a difference - except in the price: I'm so cynical! ;) This eyeshadow is a beautiful shimmering purple colour; I don't have anything quite like it. Powder eyeshadows can be a bit scary for the spillage factor, but there's a sensible dispenser in the lid that should make using it much easier. I'm happy with this one and will definitely use it.

❀ Alfaparf Milano Anti-Frizz Oil Shampoo, Anti-Frizz Mask and Absolute Oil, sample sachets and 10ml bottle.
I'm always happy to try a new hair product, though the full sizes are sadly out of my price range. I tried the absolute oil on my hair earlier this evening, so it's a bit early to tell if it works, but it sure smells good and has a satisfyingly thick texture. It contains Prickly Pear oil, with moisturising properties, and all the products are paraben- and colourant-free. Alfaparf Milano comes from Italy.

❀ McArthur Complete Skincare Cream, full-size 250ml.
The drawcard of this product is that it contains 60% Mc Arthur Pawpaw Extract (TM), though neither the bottle nor the enclosed flyer explain how this is better than normal pawpaw extract. Call me cynical, but I'm put off by the near-miraculous claims and untenably complicated application instructions. It also has a really strange smell - citrus and lavender and something else that I can't quite describe. Having said all of that however, I love this product. Why? Because it doesn't make my eczema flare up! I can't count the number of hand creams I've had to throw away after only a few uses. Thankfully this comes in a nice big pump pack. This product is made in Australia and does not contain parabens.

❀ Wotnot Facial Wipes, full-size.
By an amazing coincidence, I was planning to buy some facial wipes the very day that my box arrived, as I noticed I was running low. I'm pleased to see that these contain organic aloe vera and rosehip oil. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them. Wotnot is an Australian company.

Summary: I was happy with my first Lust Have It Eco Box. There was a good mix of skin care and cosmetics. The only disappointment was that the nail polish colour was not to my taste. I really liked everything else - and it's not often that I have so few negative comments about a beauty box!
I really like the idea of the Eco box. I don't have to worry about getting that pang of guilt when I open a box and see a product from a brand that tests on animals. I also like the idea of getting a larger box at longer intervals. I'm starting to get to the stage in my beauty box career that I want quality just as much as quantity. I'm happy to wait a bit longer if I know I'm going to get a larger proportion of full-sized products, in a more-thoughtfully put together box.
My only question now is ... so when's the Winter box coming out???

P.S. Today's photo was taken with my new camera that I received for my birthday. I hope you'll notice the difference in image quality from now on!